Sunday, January 25, 2009


Welcome to my first day of blogging...ever! This really came about because I desired to have a simple way to share my travel and adventure exploits with family, friends and whoever stumbled upon my blog.

I am in my favorite place in the ENTIRE world; Jackson Hole! I am enjoying a few days with good friends...Gordy, Vinny, Michael and our wives. It took a little extra effort to get here. Our plane took off from Salt Lake City and headed to Jackson Hole. As we were nearing our destination, the pilot informed us that we might not be able to land. The visibility and runway conditions were below minimum safety standards for landing. After taking a "few laps" around Dubois we got the dreaded announcement that we were returning to SLC. Two hours in the air and nothing to show for it except for losing 2-hours!

This isn't the first time this has ever happened to me. So being the "seasoned" traveler, I got on the horn with Hertz and Avis to see which company could come through with a 1-way SUV to Jackson. Avis won this rental car war. Karin and I plus Liz our new found friend from 32C got our bags, loaded into our Chevy Blazer and made the 4-hour trek from SLC to JH. (yes I was driving a bit fast, but the roads were clear and traffic was light) We pulled into Jackson which was beautifully covered with 12" of fresh cowboy powder!

We got a goods night rest and after a wonderful breakfast made by the Captain (Michael's nickname), we headed out to the National Elk Refuge for a sliegh ride through the elk herds. We got up close and personal with several big bulls, saw a coyote hunting for mice (yes he caught one while we were watching, a bald eagle and trumpeter swans flying overhead. It really was a great experience. If you ever find yourself in Jackson in the winter, this is a must experience. (REMEMBER YOUR CAMERA!!!)

Chef Michael is making us pasta with a creamy white wine and salmon or chicken sauce for dinner...yum, yum!

Happy traveling!








No comments:

Post a Comment