Saturday, January 31, 2009

Teton Wilderness Adventure

Yesterday was spent on the back of a snowmobile in the expanse of Wyoming’s Teton Wilderness. We traveled over an hour to Togwotee Lodge where we had some sleds (that’s how snowmobiles are referred to by those that know something about snowmobiling) rented for our use in the backcountry.

The day dawned cold with valley fog. However, as we left Moran Jct. headed east towards Togwotee Pass, we climbed out of the fog and visibility improved to high clouds. Fortunately by mid-morning the clouds gave way to beautiful sunshine and warmer temperatures. The weather was perfect!

As for sledding, we had a great time. My friends Daniel and Dylan Harkavy and I joined up with our close friends Vince Grant, Michael Van Skaik and Gordy Marks. These three guys are the snowmobiling experts. Without them we might still be stuck in deep powder in the middle of the forest. This is our eighth guys’ trip and I am still amazed at what these three guys can do with a snowmobile. They seem to be able to get us into areas that I would never think to venture. Michael gave me a wonderful treat today by getting me to a place where I could see the Tetons and the whole Jackson Hole valley. Today’s picture was taken from that spot 9,700 feet above sea level. The highest I have ever been on a snowmobile. What an awesome experience!

Yesterday was Dylan’s first real day on a snowmobile. He was a natural! He rides dirt bikes so we think that helped a bit. But he absolutely took to it like a duck to water. He was carving turns in the powder and climbing hills. I remember Dylan when he was 5 years old. He will turn 17 in March and has become an awesome man. It is a huge treat to have him join us for the guys’ trip. I know as dads we wait for these types of moments when our sons mature enough to be invited into the circle of older men. I know what it was like for me. I can only assume Dylan is really pumped to be here with us this year. And God willing be back for more fun adventure with the old guys next year!

Well, today is our last day. Daniel, Dylan and I are going to head up the mountain for a day of snowboarding. We might even take our inaugural ride on Big Red (the new tram at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort) It holds 100 people and takes you right to the top of the mountain; over 4,400 vertical feet!! There is a lot of riding to do today, so I will sign off and catch up with you this evening!

“The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor” -Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment