Tuesday, January 27, 2009


A Cold Day in Jackson Hole

This morning started with a balmy -18 degrees. Yep, you are seeing this correctly. That is a little dash in front of the eighteen. There are a lot of good reasons not to do much when it’s that cold outside. Nobody and nothing wants to work. Including my good friend Michael’s diesel powered truck. Apparently diesel fuel can gel when it gets too cold and it got too cold. The only thing you can do is wait for it to warm up. Well we weren’t willing to wait until spring to have his truck thaw out so we did what any smart person would; push an 8,000 lbs. truck over the snow covered driveway into the heated garage. It took a Suburban, four grown men and three wives to push and pull “Big Four”, as it is affectionately referred to, into the garage. Several hours did the trick and Big Four started right up and relinquished the coveted garage spot back to the Suburban.

The rest of the day was spent on the mountain skiing and snowboarding with my friends from Seattle; Vinny and Traci Grant and Gordy and Ann Marks. The morning was crystal clear. We could see the whole valley as we rode Apres Vous (which is fast becoming my favorite chair on the mountain) for several great runs. The sun eventually gave way to clouds, snow and flat light. I hate flat light! The saving grace was the snow. The snow is so soft and forgiving. I like to call it dream snow. The only thing better would be two feet of fresh, untracked powder all day long. Hey, a guy can dream can’t he?

From Apres Vous we made our way up the gondola and over to Thunder for several runs. The light improved a bit and made for a great afternoon. Our day ended on the terrain park with some air time. Anyone who has skied with me knows I love to get air and lots of it. Well becoming a snowboarder has not changed that. The terrain park gave me my fix with several good jumps. One jump even included a rail grab (not sure if this is the right lingo) that I was able to land. All in all it was a great day, but what day on the mountain is not a great day!

Thanks for joining me on my adventure!

“If you look anything like your passport photo, you’re not well enough to travel” -Jill Briscoe

No comments:

Post a Comment