Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Last Day


We are about 30 hours away from boarding our plane to return home. We have spent our final days in Alexandria eating some of the best seafood I have ever had and hanging out with some more wonderful people from all over the Middle East. Today's picture was taken in Alexandria as the sun is setting on the Mediterranean Sea.

We have experienced some wonderful adventures while in Egypt. It is only fitting that as we prepare to close out this travel adventure, we play a little game called high/low. I will share with you my overall high for the trip and my overall low. I will start with the low because I have had only two; therefore a very short list to choose from. The low, as you read about the other day, is the traffic in Cairo. Lack of sleep was the other low, but I would gladly go without sleep if it meant the traffic going away with it!

As for highs, unfortunately that list is much longer. None the less, I know I need to choose so I will go with having this shared experience with my son Sam. As I wrote about on his birthday, it was very cool to see Sam fulfill a dream and be exposed to history in a real way. Additionally, I think Sam was exposed to some pretty amazing Christians doing some pretty amazing things. I trust that God will use this in some way at some point in his life.

Sam’s thoughts:
Today is our last day in Egypt. This trip marked a major milestone in my life; an experience I will not forget too soon. I have a major paper due on Monday so today has not been as much about Egypt as it has been about researching French authors. However, I still catch myself daydreaming about the last 10 days and the amazing memories. Beyond the memories, I have met some amazing people. The people have been very helpful and very hospitable. I can confidently say that a major life goal has been accomplished. I hope one day I get to return to this land of Egypt. I am looking forward to continuing my study of Egypt both at home and some day back here in Egypt.

To the 5th grade class of NCCS, I hope you have enjoyed your virtual trip to Egypt. I look forward to sharing with you in person more of my amazing stories. I will also look forward to hearing all of your answers to the questions I have given to you over the past several days. Here are your final questions:
1. On a map, be able to show where Lower and Upper Egypt are located.
2. What are the meanings of the black and red stripes on Egypt’s flag?

Well, here ends another trip. Thank you for joining and I look forward to our next journey together. I pray that wherever your travels take you, they will be filled with fun and adventure!

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment